Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Portfolio Update

Another month has gone by and what a month it has been. I have been all over the place interviewing for jobs as I graduate from college (in fact right now I am in New York's La Guardia airport right now) and so my portfolio has been feeling a bit neglected - and the numbers show that too!

YTD Return:
5.10%
Month's Return:
-2.07%
Number of Trades This Month:
47
Back Ratios:
2
Calendars:
4
Stock Trades:
15
Straddle:
1
Vertical:
1
Adjustments:
24


As you can see most of my trades were adjustments to outstanding positions and I mainly focused on exiting my trades. Reflecting that is the fact that I only have 7 positions open right now and most of those are fairly simple trades. As I mentioned I have been busy this past month and next month is not looking good either (must enjoy last semester of college!).

Most of my trades were profitable or break even and some even returning close to 300%. What really brought me down was a calendar spread I had on Total Inc which for some unexplained reason jumped like 7% in a day that hit me for a $1700 loss - compare that to my total loss of close to $800. Unfortunately, this was 2 days before October expiry and so I could essentially do nothing about the trade. I simply should have hedged myself against a possible jump like that, but then my return potential would have been nearly nothing. I had nearly 80% probability of profit and less than 5% chance of losing more than $200. Sometimes you do everything right and you still lose.

My current positions are mainly volatility plays because I strongly believe volatilities will rise (already up around 30% in the past week! I called that last week! If you are wondering what my target for the VIX is: 30.50). I am also net short on the SPY (have been since last week) and so that is making me decent profit.

I will try to post more of my trades here and my strategies behind them. I think it helps me make better decisions as well as learn.

That wraps up my October update. Good luck and happy early Halloween.

-By Wown
StockJockz.blogspot.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment